Skip to main content

Cup Half-Full

“Two cups of coffee to go, please.” Robin ordered, flopping onto the barstool.

Taking no notice to the black tar plopped onto the counter in front her, my mom’s focus was intent on a square-inch of fake granite, her eyes twitching left to a scruffy-jawed man, absentmindedly scanning the menu.

Turning to Robin, my mom uttered under her breath “That’s him. That’s the guy.”
Without further thought to the situation’s outcome, besides capturing the criminal before the two detectives outside were alerted and by their side to help (or hinder), she headed for the door. With a quick trip, and a sloppier unclenching of Styrofoam, coffee splashed violently onto the man’s brown, Eddie Bauer jacket, knocking him to the floor.

“Grab him, Robin!” She yelled, regaining her footing.

Robin, unaware of the plan my mom had concocted in her head, launched forward to help, whipping the handcuffs out from behind her back, and slapping them onto the felon’s wrists. Dragging the apprehended up from the brown, sludge-filled puddle, the boisterous, young women sauntered past the male detectives, gaunt with coffee stains and ruffled blues.

I think back to my mother, as I knew her: strong, loud, and undeniably unafraid to tackle any issue (or man in this case). The thought of my mother’s coffee-stained, shit-eating grin, as she waltzed out of the diner to fill the backseat of the patrol car with peril and chests with honor, is exactly as I like to remember her.
Robin retold this story at my mother’s service, and mirroring the way my mother looked upon recollection, the audience sat perched, eyes gleaming, with laughter leaping from everyone’s lips, as we relived one her proudest moments.

Coffee had always played a major role in her life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kitchen

         The phone would ring, and off would go my mother, around the corner, leaving a trail of flour dust as she waltzed towards the future conversation. Knowing fair well that my mother was a talker, I had it down to a science of how many drive-by’s I could fit in before I’d get caught, as I swept the kitchen for potential hazards on my way to the cookie dough. One, massive, partially melted, white plastic bowl contained the goods, and as a child, it was my duty to get a taste. My mother, being the retired Seattle Police detective that she was, must have had eyes in the back of her head, and probably the sides too, for how quickly she sensed a disturbance. So, between my young, light feet, and her eagle eyes, we had a friendly competition of family cops and robbers anytime cookies were in the making.             The counter laid strewn with various sizes of bowls, measuring cups, teaspoons, tablespoons, and chocolate chip cookie dough ingredients. Spattered flour was everywhere,

Women in Fire

Last night my dad ran into the house saying to turn on NPR because they were doing a piece on women firefighters. He said this because I am a firefighter, and I am also a woman. However, this was not really a piece on women in fire, this piece was on why it’s hard to be a woman in our field, and I just don’t agree. The NPR piece went into sexual harassment, sexual assault and the difficulties that we as women face in the world of fire. I don’t look at my job as a difficulty. I look at my job as a just what it is: a job. Yes, there are sexist people in our line of work, but to be honest there are sexist people in every line of work. Ours is no different. The fact that I am a woman gets acknowledged at least once a day every day. But, it’s simply fact. Right? I am a woman. And, I am also very tired of everything having a negative light cast onto it. We get out of life what we put into it. If you let a couple of sexists run you out of a job, then honey, you didn’t belong there in the f