Skip to main content

Women in Fire

Last night my dad ran into the house saying to turn on NPR because they were doing a piece on women firefighters. He said this because I am a firefighter, and I am also a woman. However, this was not really a piece on women in fire, this piece was on why it’s hard to be a woman in our field, and I just don’t agree.
The NPR piece went into sexual harassment, sexual assault and the difficulties that we as women face in the world of fire. I don’t look at my job as a difficulty. I look at my job as a just what it is: a job. Yes, there are sexist people in our line of work, but to be honest there are sexist people in every line of work. Ours is no different. The fact that I am a woman gets acknowledged at least once a day every day. But, it’s simply fact. Right? I am a woman. And, I am also very tired of everything having a negative light cast onto it. We get out of life what we put into it. If you let a couple of sexists run you out of a job, then honey, you didn’t belong there in the first place.
Right out of high school, I joined a hand crew that was all male. I was the only female. Growing up I had had two older brothers, and I thought that by now I wouldn’t have to deal with anymore sibling brawls or bickering, but upon joining the crew, I somehow ended up with four more brothers constantly by my side. They taunt and tease me, and I throw back a mean scowl (and sometimes a swift left hook.) “Where are your little brothers at this morning?” I get asked as I enter the compound. I laugh because we both are well aware that the guys are older than me. I love my crew. People ask me all the time what it’s like to be the only girl on the crew. Usually the question is accompanied by a worried or baffled face, but it’s really not that weird and it sure is not that difficult of a task. My anatomy was not my choice, but my attitude towards the way that I let it affect me is.
I’ve been overlooked and unnecessarily helped many a time because I am simply a woman, but that doesn’t in the slightest keep me from doing or loving my job. It makes it a challenge for me. I love to race the guys up the hill when we do PT hikes, or offer to pack in any extra weight that needs to be taken to the fire line. I like to race when we do the pack test, and work on my witty comebacks when they feel the need to make smartass remarks. I like to better myself. I like to work hard. I dig line, I use a chainsaw, I crawl through the dirt on my hands and knees looking for heat, and yes I also wear the ugly (but very comfy) forest green, nomex pants.
 I don’t take time to point out the fact that “I’m a woman” because everyone knows it already, it’s simple anatomy. When I am at my job I am simply a firefighter because that’s what I’m paid to be. I am paid to do my job as a firefighter. I am not paid to become the victim. I am not paid to let the guys around me do extra work while I use the excuse of gender. I signed up for this, and I couldn’t be luckier to have the job that I do. Our world is only as equal as we work to make it. So, instead of pointing out the differences of male versus female, and instead of making yourself the victim of sexism, make the change. Take the challenge. Create the equality that you claim to not have instead of standing idly by and complaining about the lack thereof.

Work harder. Prove your point. It’s so cliché and overused, but Gandhi truly said it best when he said, “be the change you wish to see in this world.” If you want to eliminate sexism, or sexual harassment, then just do it. Don’t let the words and actions of simple- minded humans (men and women alike) to change what you want for yourself. I am woman in fire, and I have no complaints. I love the challenge. I love the look on people’s faces when I prove them wrong. And, most importantly, I love my job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kitchen

         The phone would ring, and off would go my mother, around the corner, leaving a trail of flour dust as she waltzed towards the future conversation. Knowing fair well that my mother was a talker, I had it down to a science of how many drive-by’s I could fit in before I’d get caught, as I swept the kitchen for potential hazards on my way to the cookie dough. One, massive, partially melted, white plastic bowl contained the goods, and as a child, it was my duty to get a taste. My mother, being the retired Seattle Police detective that she was, must have had eyes in the back of her head, and probably the sides too, for how quickly she sensed a disturbance. So, between my young, light feet, and her eagle eyes, we had a friendly competition of family cops and robbers anytime cookies were in the making.             The counter laid strewn with various sizes of bowls, measuring cups, teaspoons, tablespoons, and chocolate chip cookie dough ingredients. Spattered flour was everywhere,

The Finality of Goodbye- Vandalism Publication

The Finality of Goodbye Brought to his knees, He slumped, Sinking lower onto The overused, Overturned table. Gasping for air, Sobs snuck past his lips. 6’4 reduced To a wide eyed boy Clutching For a hand Yearning For a mom’s attention. She might’ve seen him, I can’t say for sure. For her eyes remained shut And her mouth solemn. As he waited Tears spilled slowly From a grown man’s eye And a child’s heart. His counterpart   Stands at full mast Stock-still Stone-faced. The days of toothy grins And mock-arm wrestling Left behind, Locked away. His biggest fan And first coach Has left him Without a plan Or play at hand. She’s still cheering, I’m almost certain. On some days, If you listen real well And stay real quiet, The sounds of her buoyant Cheers float up Echoes meeting our ears. The nightgown Rests so softly upon Her brittle collar bone. The light lilac Bringing out